WELCOME.... SELAMAT DATANG

Dear Friends, brother, Sisters....

My name is Helena Rijoly - Matakupan. I received scholarship from International Peacemaking Program of Hatford Seminary and is currently studying there. This is my Blog of during 1 week voluntary mission trip to Biloxi, MS with Volunteer group from 1st Church of Simsbury. Our group had been coming down to Biloxi since 4 years ago after the Hurricane Katrina hit the areas.

Hope you enjoy the writings. Please feel free to leave comments on the entry but please do not post disrespectful comments.

You can start by looking at the archive and start with the first entry in 31 January 2009. Or you can do what ever you like to read it.

God Bless you all!

Monday, February 9, 2009

February 1.... Sunday Halleluya


OK it’s Sunday and Jonathan (our Pastor) herd us all to main Street Baptist Church for Sunday service. 2 things that stand out from this church; sea of marvelous hats and groovy Men’s Choir.

The Black American really do have great taste of fashion. We sat there felt very much under-dressed and bare among those beautiful hats. One lady walks in with a beautiful fluffy bouncy white fur hats with complimentary big bows like Aretha franklin hats on Obama’s Innaguration. My my.... I wanted that hats and I know I am not the only one after that hats. I saw Diann elbow Jonathan for same reaction.

We were later swept away by the magnificent voice and ‘bouncy’ groove of the choir selection songs. They have AWESOME voice and they don’t even look like they have to work hard and strained their neck muscle to produce those voice. God really gifted these people angelic voice no one could ever replicate. It is theirs…



We had an awesome local southern food at Aunt Jenny’s kitchen. I have shrimp, sweet potatoes and cole slaw. Absolutelly magnificent. The restaurant was very nice. I like it. It was a wooden building with a deck-like feeling. Our table was overlooking the lake or the bay. Absolutely gorgeous. It was sad to learn that this restaurant was also drawn with water that rise from the bay up to their place.

Another wonderful surprise was the pastor of Main Street Baptist Church was also lunched there.



We later took care of grocery. Diann, Tina, Sue and Me went for grocery shopping.
I have never shopped that many items in one go. We had to use 2 carts and split up to tackle the list. It was somewhat fun. It was my first encounter with Tina and Sue. I like them both. Guess what I learned this and that about shopping for food in America. I appreciate this trip for I am not very much familiar with food in America in terms of brand and efficiency. So I will have to thank both Tina and sue.

Upon returning back we have welcoming notes from Sandy, the long time volunteer there. I think she’s the Back Bay Mission volunteer coordinators but I am not sure. The meeting was held at our neighbor trailer. I was not sure. But I got the feeling of how cold and unfriendly they are when we step into their trailer. God forgive me but I do feel kinda unwelcoming atmosphere.

Back to our trailer, I soon dicover that Tina is somewhat our “chief chef”… I didn’t expect this. Frankly I thought Tina is a rich woman with thousands of maid in her house thus she doesn’t have to cook or worse don’t know how to cook. He he he he… She will laugh at me if she read this. I helped in my wonderful ability in the kitchen: chopping.



Sue also introduce me to a new game similar to Scrabble called Bananagram.
I need to get the hang of how to play that. The game got me hooked for it instantly raking my brain to find the word arrangement. I think I can do it. I just need to get the knack of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment