WELCOME.... SELAMAT DATANG

Dear Friends, brother, Sisters....

My name is Helena Rijoly - Matakupan. I received scholarship from International Peacemaking Program of Hatford Seminary and is currently studying there. This is my Blog of during 1 week voluntary mission trip to Biloxi, MS with Volunteer group from 1st Church of Simsbury. Our group had been coming down to Biloxi since 4 years ago after the Hurricane Katrina hit the areas.

Hope you enjoy the writings. Please feel free to leave comments on the entry but please do not post disrespectful comments.

You can start by looking at the archive and start with the first entry in 31 January 2009. Or you can do what ever you like to read it.

God Bless you all!

Monday, February 9, 2009

February 2, Discovering God on the first day of Work

12 smelly fishermen

This morning when Diann pray before we launched ourselves on our 1st day at work with back bay mission, she pray so that we may find GOD in our work and in the people we meet today.

Soon after the prayer, a sexist comment was uttered in the meeting room as we debriefing with other groups of volunteers. We were annoyed of course. And that pretty much destroyed the “god” we want to see in them today.

Anyway, we were doing the sharing after diner (and Bananagram game) and Diann ask us to read from Mark 1:16-20 about Jesus calling the first disciples. They were fishermen and JESUS just basically took them from their nature and skill to be HIS disciple who will minister, preach, lead, reach out and guided many people.

I did mention that I don’t think I meet GOD today.
Then Diann shared the jokes.
People were welcoming Jesus.
Then in the story one of them said
“Ooh forget bout Jesus for one second. What about the 12 smelly fishermen He has with him”.

I thought the story was both hilarious and eye opener.


Then I thought… A-ha!! I did met the 12 smelly fishermen today.
They were so smelly, they bug me all day.
I remember doing my prayer…
I was thinking of all the things I should have and find when I want to find GOD.
Sometimes we just want to find GOD so much we forgot to welcome and also acknowledge HIS disciples-smelly-fishermen.

Hmmm…. I was wrong. I did meet GOD…. I did meet Jesus today
Jesus always walks around with the 12 fishermen.
So if I did find these smelly fishermen. HE must also be there… (under cover maybe??)
---

Other things that happen today,
1. we had a chilling lunch at the park in front of Mrs. Pluffs house. The wind was so chilling. They lied. It suppose to be warm. Hiks.
2. Sara injured her thumb with Mudding Blade. it was bleeding when I saw her. But she was very strong to bear the pain. Even come with no Twitch face.
3. We played bananagram too and I won several times. I think I know how it works now.

1 comment: