WELCOME.... SELAMAT DATANG

Dear Friends, brother, Sisters....

My name is Helena Rijoly - Matakupan. I received scholarship from International Peacemaking Program of Hatford Seminary and is currently studying there. This is my Blog of during 1 week voluntary mission trip to Biloxi, MS with Volunteer group from 1st Church of Simsbury. Our group had been coming down to Biloxi since 4 years ago after the Hurricane Katrina hit the areas.

Hope you enjoy the writings. Please feel free to leave comments on the entry but please do not post disrespectful comments.

You can start by looking at the archive and start with the first entry in 31 January 2009. Or you can do what ever you like to read it.

God Bless you all!

Monday, February 9, 2009

February 3...A looong story day

I did Loaves and Fishes today.
Loaves and Fishes is a soup Kitchen ministry to feed the homeless.
It is my first time doing this job and I am glad Sara was with me
I was half glad that I got to go to the Soup Kitchen because the work of the day was Sanding. And I hate the sound of sanding. The teeth gritting –screeching-awful sound.
Unbearable for me.

The shoup Kitchen of Loaves and Fishes didn’t have much to do when Sara and I arrived. They basically finished cooking. So Sara and I got the task to clean the fridge, all the countertop and serving tops with disinfectant. Then we got to serve the lines of people waiting for their tray.

I was expecting chaos. But I find them very politely waiting in line and move politely to have us handing on out their shared. They joyously said “thank you”, “God Bless Y’all”.
They yummied their food on the way to the table which made the food extra delicious in my eyes. It was macaronis and beef and sausage cooked in tomato sauce, with Salad, Left-over beef stew, Peach and saltines crackers. Yumm yummm… I am also amazed that it was actually a delicious and decent food. From my experience they will feed these people a not so good food.

Some of these people are demanding for they’re familiar with the soup kitchen and they see it as their ‘home’. So they asked for more of these and more of that. Others come shyly and ask politely sometimes with voice so low I cannot hear, to have a little bit more of the meat or extra saltine crackers.

It broke my heart that day to see a Hispanic family of 7; a mother, father, and 5 kids. Two of these kids come with their mother. They are litlle boy and little girl. All the kids wanted was a plate of peaches. So after casting a pleading look to our supervisor and got an approval nod, we gave a tray with only peaches to them.

I got to talk with the volunteers there who helped me to talk to them because they cannot speak English. I found out that they adopted the other 3 kids. So from the 5 kids, 2 are their own and the other 3 were orphaned. Their family was washed away and they were separated. I was so touched that they took these kids under their wings when they were also homeless.

How many of us will think twice and even hundred times to take a child or help someone else in need right now? We say, I need to watch my spending this month. Or million other excuses we will come up with. But I kept on thinking of this family. How great their hearts are. May God help them. For I know they are not off God;s caring.

I am thankful for organization like Loaves and Fishes. They’ve done a remarkable job. God continue to bless them too.

I didn’t came back to Mrs. Pluff’s house after working at the soup kitchen. Sara and I returned to our trailer house. So After a quick late lunch, sara and I decided to clean up the trailer common areas, put fruits and cookies for the other crew so when they come home tired they will find something that cheer them up.
So Sara vacummed and I take care of the dishes and straighted up everything.
I was so happy that they are happy to come home weary and find thing a little nicer.

We have afternoon meeting with Sherry. They Manager (??) of Back Bay Mission who shared about their work, vision and mission. I really appreciate all they have done. I also have my opinion that they were caught in a provider-target structure with the people they helped (the Katrina victims and homeless people). I would like to suggest a more inclusive and community based and participation like. Thus back bay didn’t have to shoulder everything. Community will be mobilized and will eventually carried out the outreach in broader scale. But apart from that, I gave them gratitude for all their willingness to serve, compassion and faithfulness to keep on going.

Back at our trailer home we had a delicious dinner of casserole. Kudos to Tina, Sue and Margo!!!

One other things, Sara and I work along side with Holly and Hanna.
I am happy because we are able to strike conversations and work together.

I led the vesper that night and shared my reflection yesterday about the smelly fishermen.
I was so glad that it was well received and we all shared the same feeling and have the same awareness that this is our “JIHAD” our struggle with ourselves to be in peace with others as it walks hand in hand with our mission in Biloxi as an act faith to serve the Lord.

More down…. 1 hard one to go

No comments:

Post a Comment